Descendants of William Shipp
Letter written by John Edgar Julian: "The name originated as follows: In the war of 1257, Robert was Prefectory of Bustal, England. In the War of Roses between the two rival factions a great battle was fought at Bustal, England.
Robert collected his hemmed-in forces and took to the ship that he had near at hand and quickly brought relief and succor to the King's forces and saved the day for his army. The grateful king knighted him and his name became Robert at Ship". His family took this name and kept it. "At Ship" became the surname of all his descendants. Finally, "at" was dropped about the year 1800.
As I have always said, these are my own personal working files that I have shared with you. they are merely to give you, the reader, a jumping off spot for your research. One of our number has found information that needs to be shared, so here it is:
I make no claim to be able to correct or comment on most details shown, but there are a couple of glaring inaccuracies.
1) The Wars of the Roses started in the later part of the 1450's, and could not have occurred before 1399 because one of the two royal houses involved wasn't even established until then.
So the date of 1257 MUST be inaccurate, as is other information there.
2) I am not aware of any town, village or city in England called Bustal, and there was certainly no major Wars of the Roses battle fought at such a site.
3) The term used of Prefectory should probably be Preceptory, which was a position held by the head of a Knights Templar 'monastery' type holding.
4) It is possible that 'at' may actually be 'ap', since that means 'son of' in Welsh.
I am not trying to be contentious, but with such a major error as reference to wars being incorrect by 200 years, the whole opening statement is rendered implausible.
There were, incidentally, no coastal battles in the Wars of the Roses and few near any major rivers, so even that is dubious.
The timeline stated is just after the 7th Crusade, run by a French king, though Knights Templar may have been present.
Thank you, Jon.
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 SHIPP was born 1606 in in Norfolk or Kent County, England. He married SARAH JULIAN. Captain William Julian came to America in 1609 aboard the ship Hercules and was living at Elizabeth Cittee at the age of 43. After his death, his wife Sarah, married William Shipp.
Notes for WILLIAM SHIPP:
The Shipp Family Genealogy by Ralph D. Shipp, published by Gateway Press,
Inc. Baltimore, 1975. I found the book in the Public Library of Andalusia and
Covington County, 21 South Three Notch Street, Andalusia, Alabama 36420 is the
source for my information.
Child of WILLIAM SHIPP and SARAH JULIAN is:
2. i. WILLIAM2 SHIPP, b. Abt. 1626.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 SHIPP(WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1626. He married JANE BUTT.
Child of WILLIAM SHIPP and JANE BUTT is:
3. i. JOSIAH3 SHIPP, b. St. Ann Parish, , Essex Co., Va; d. January 24, 1703/04, in St. Anne's Parrish, Essex County, Virginia.
Generation No. 3
3. JOSIAH3 SHIPP(WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)1 was born in St. Ann Parish, , Essex Co., Va, and died January 24, 1703/04 in in St. Anne's Parrish, Essex County, Virginia. He married (1) JANE. He married (2) ELIZABETH BROOKS2 1664 in in Rappahannock County, Virginia, daughter of THOMAS BROOKES BROOKS and SUSANNA WYATT.
Notes for JOSIAH SHIPP:
Appointed by Ann Bray as her loving friend and lawful attorney to acknowledge her rights to a parcel of land sold by her husband, Richard Bray to Edward Allcox, "the quantity be i n g 200 acres lying in Piscataway Creek, November 8, 1673 (Deed and Will Book of Rappahannock , County.,VA, 1671.)
Children of JOSIAH SHIPP and ELIZABETH BROOKS (daughter of Thomas Brooks (carpenter) who died in York Co., Va in 1672) and wife Susanna are:
i. RICHARD4 SHIPP, b. St. Ann Parish, Essex, Va; d. September 03, 1723, St. Ann's Parish, Essex Co, Va.
4. ii. JOSIAH SHIPP JR, b. 1687-1693, St Anne's Parish, Essex, Virginia; d. July 16, 1739, St Ann's Parish, Caroline, Virginia.
iii. THOMAS SHIPP, b. 1690, St. Ann Parish, Essex, Va; d. February 14, 1745/46, Caroline, Va.
Generation No. 4
4. JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR (JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)3 was born 1687-1693 in St Anne's Parish, Essex, Virginia, and died July 16, 1739 in St Ann's Parish, Caroline, Virginia. He married ELIZABETH HODGSON Abt. 1711, daughter of JOHN HODGSON and ELIZABETH.
Child of JOSIAH SHIPP JR and ELIZABETH HODGSON is:
5. i. RICHARD5 SHIPP, b. in Lunenburg County, Virginia; d. August 23, 1778, Edgecombe County, N.C..
Generation No. 5
5. RICHARD5 SHIPP(JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born in in Lunenburg County, Virginia, and died August 23, 1778 in Edgecombe County, N.C.. He married ELIZABETH.
Notes for RICHARD SHIPP:
Richard Shipp d: in Edgecombe County, NorthCarolinab:inLunenburg County, v i rg i nia
Two of Richard Shipp's nephews also served as patriot soldiersintheRevolutionary War.
They were Thomas and Richard Shipp, sons of Richard's brother,JosiahShippIII. Thoma s w a s b orn October 26, 1757. His brother,Richard, wasbornabout 1760, both in Lunenburg Cou nt y , Vi rginia.
We know more about the nephew Thomas than we do about the nephew Richard.
Thomas enlisted in the army in the spring of 1778 or 1779, while hewasaresident of Su r r y ( later called Stokes) County, NorthCarolina.Heserved three months as a private in Capt a i n J osephCloud'scompany,Colonel Martin Armstrong's North Carolina Regiment. Thomaswa s i n a skirmish with the Tories at Chestnut Ridge near the Dan River.
In 1780 he married Hannah Joyce in Lunenburg County, Virginia.Theywerethe parents of t h r e e children, two boys and a girl.
He re-enlisted in August 1780 and served 40 days inColonelArmstrong'sregiment and w a s i n t he Battle of King's Mountain.Then inthe summer of1781 he enlisted in Captain Davi d H ump hre y'scompany,Colonel JamesMartin's North Carolina Regiment.
Thomas was allowed a pension on his application executed January5,1835,while he was a r e s i dent if Stokes County, North Carolina.
He died 2 September 1816 in Stokes County.
Nothing is known of the military service of nephew Richard exceptthatheapplied for a pe n s i on in 1842 while living inHolmesCounty,Mississippi. The pension was not approved beca u s e h ecould notfurnishproof of six months service.
He had moved about 1785 to Franklin County, Georgia, thentoHickmanCounty, Tennessee , a n d b y 1842 to Holmes County.
Nephew Richard died before 1853 in Holmes County.
Children of RICHARD SHIPP and ELIZABETH are:
6. i. EPHRIAM6 SHIPP, d. Sampson County, North Carolina.
ii. BENJAMIN SHIPP, d. Hancock County, Georgia.
iii. WILLIAM SHIPP.
iv. TILLER SHIPP.
v. MARY SHIPP, m. JOHN HOLLOWAY, October 21, 1765.
vi. SUSANNA SHIPP, m. JESSE WALL.
vii. RICHARD SHIPP.
viii. JOSIAH SHIPP.
Generation No. 6
6. EPHRIAM6 SHIPP(RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) died in Sampson County, North Carolina5.4 He married ANNE August 16, 18266.
Notes for EPHRIAM SHIPP:
1  William Shipp 1606 - 1657 d: 1657inLowerNorfolkCounty, Virgi n i a b : 1606 in Norfolk or KentCounty,England
.... +Sarah Julian 1602 - b: 1602 in England
*2nd Wife of  William Shipp:
2  William Shipp Abt. 1626 - b: Abt. 1626
..... +Jane Butt
3 Josiah Shipp d: in St. Anne'sParrish,EssexCounty,Virginia
....... +Elizabeth Brooks m: 1664inRappahannockCounty,Virginia
.. 4 Josiah Shipp II 1693 - Bef. 1739 d:Bef.1739inCaroline County, Vir g i n ia b: 1693 in St. Anne'sParrish,EssexCounty,Virginia
........ +Elizabeth Hodgson 1676 - m: Abt. 1711b:1676 inSt.Anne's Pa rris h , E ssex County, Virginia
... 5 Richard Shipp d: inEdgecombeCounty,NorthCarolina b: in Lune n b u rg County, virginia
..... 6 Ephriam Shipp WFT Est. 1706-1735 - WFTEst.1760-1820d:WFT Est. 1760- 1 8 2 0 in Sampson County, North Carolinab:WFTEst.1706-1735
........... +Ann WFT Est. 1715-1738 - WFT Est.1760-1826m:WFTEst. 1747-1 7 7 9 d : WFT Est. 1760-1826 inSampsonCounty,NorthCarolina b: WFT Est. 1715-1738
...... 7 Elizabeth Shipp 1789 - 1866 d:December06,1866in ROEVILLE, H e n r y County, ALA b: December 26, 1789inEDGECOMBCO.,N.C.
............. +Stephen Oates 1783 - 1822d:February17,1822 b: 17 8 3 i n Sampso n County, North Carolina
........ 8 Ephriam Oates 1826 - 1911 d: April20,1911inAbbeville, Sou t h C a rolina b: January 27, 1826 in N. C.
.............. +Mary Ann Ward 1822 - 1882 m:August16,1826d: November 24 , 1 8 8 2 in Abbeville, Alabama b: June 24,1822
......... 9 Mary Jane Margaret Oates 1859 - 1939d:August13,1939 in Henr y Coun t y , Alabama b: June 18, 1859innearAbbeville,Henry County, Alabama
................ +Edgar Lindsay 1854 - 1942d:April14,1942 in Headlan d , A labam a Henry County b: 1854 inClapton,AlDaleCounty
........... 10  Alice Olive Lindsay 1888 - 1980d:April25,1980 in Doth an, A a b ama, Houston County b: September27,1888inHeadland, Alabama Henry County
................. + Alpheus Walter Hawkins 1881 -1947m:May06, 1909 d : J u n e 27, 1947 in Dothan, Alabama, HoustonCountyb:June27, 1881 in Sandy Point, Al. (Eufau l a , A labama)
............ 11  Hilda Pearl Hawkins 1912 -1988d:January26, 1988 in D oth a n , Al. b: November 18, 1912inHeadland,Alabama
................... + Joseph Robert Ramsey 1906 -1979m:inDothan, A l . d : N ovember 1979 in Dothan, Alabama HoustonCountyb:July26, 1906 in Pinckard, Alabama
............ 11  Walter Jerome Hawkins 1917 - 1960d:1960inMemory Hill, D o t h an, al b: October 17, 1917
................... + Jean Hollis
............ 11  Lynn Hawkins 1920 - d:January27b:January 20, 1 9 2 0 i n Headland, Al
........... 10 Viola Lindsay
................. +Homer Flowers
........... 10 Bunch (Malinda) Lindsay
................. +Walter Scott
............ 11 Mary Jordan Scott
.............. 12 Wyatt Espy
........... 10 Ralph Lindsay
........... 10 Collie Lindsay
................. +Quince Hollon
........... 10 Ruth Lindsay
................. +Miller Guillot
............ 11 Robert Guillot d:inFlorence,Alabama(presiden t o f U o f N orth Alabama)
.............. 12 Patty Ann Guillot
.............. 12 Robert Guillot
............... 13 Robert Guillot
.............. 12 Lesley Guillot
.................... +Jean-Pierre Marquet
............... 13 Etienne Lee Marquet 1996 -b:1996
........... 10 Nina Lindsay
................. +Glen Hawkins
........... 10 Seva Lindsay
................. +Elma Knowles
........... 10 Clyde Lindsay
........... 10  Helen Lindsay
................. +John Starke
........... *2nd Husband of  Helen Lindsay:
................. +Fred Felts
......... 9 Malinda Oates
................ +Dr. Tom Solomon
......... 9 Wyatt Oates
................ +Queen Reynolds
........... 10 Walter Bragg Oates 1878 - b: 1878
......... 9  Ed Oates
................ +Alice Pierce
......... *2nd Wife of  Ed Oates:
................ +Molly Johnson
........ 8 Margaret Jane Oates
.............. +Cooper Wiggins
........ 8 Robert Oates
......... 9 Alabama C. Oates 1771 - b: 1771
......... 9 Mahillie Oates 1775 - b: 1775
......... 9 Stephen Oates 1849 - b: 1849
......... 9 Mary Oates 1850 - b: 1850
......... 9 Elizabeth E. N. Oates 1852 - b: 1852
......... 9 Charles S. Oates 1854 - b: 1854
......... 9 Susan J. Oates 1858 - b: 1858
......... 9 James R. Oates 1859 - b: 1859
......... 9 Sinia A Oates 1869 - b: 1869
......... 9 John C. Oates 1877 - b: 1877
........ 8 Phebe Oates
........ 8 William Oates, Col. Civil War and Gov. of Alaba1833-b:Nov emb er 30, 1833
........ 8 Caroway Oates
........ 8 Robert Oates
........ 8 John Charles Oates WFT Est. 1801-1831-WFTEst.1803-190 9 d : W F T Est. 1803-1909 b: WFT Est.1801-1831
........ 8 Senia Oates WFT Est. 1801-1831 - WFTEst.1803-1912d:WFT Est. 1803- 1 9 1 2 b: WFT Est. 1801-1831
........ 8 Ferraby Oates WFT Est. 1801-1831 -WFTEst.1803-1912d: WFT Est . 1803- 1 9 12 b: WFT Est. 1801-1831
........ 8 Anna Oates 1822 - 1874 d: September16,1874b:May 08, 182 2 i n S a mpson Co. N.C>
.............. +Edward Dowling 1820 - 1906 m:October24,1841d: May 21 , 1 9 0 6 b: 1820 in Jeffries Creek SC
......... 9 Lizzie Dowling 1846 - 1916d:December14,1916 in Nagadoche s , T X b : October 21, 1846 inOzark,Alabama
........ 8 Stephen Oates,Jr. 1825 - WFT Est.1866-1916d:WFTEst. 1866-1 9 1 6 b : 1825 in SAMPSON CO. N.C.
.............. +Martha Compton 1830 - 1885m:WFTEst.1858-1881 d: Janu a r y 20 , 1885 b: March 25, 1830 inFLORIDA
......... 9 Emma Oates WFT Est. 1847-1872 - WFTEst.1852-1956d:WFT Est. 1852- 1 9 5 6 b: WFT Est. 1847-1872
......... 9 Elizabeth Oates WFT Est. 1847-1872-WFTEst.1852-195 6 d : W F T Est. 1852-1956 b: WFT Est.1847-1872
......... 9 Ludie Oates WFT Est. 1847-1872 - WFTEst.1852-1956d:WFT Est. 1852- 1 9 5 6 b: WFT Est. 1847-1872
......... 9 Arthur Eldridge Oates WFT Est. 1847-1874-WFTEst.1900-1 9 5 7 d : WFT Est. 1900-1957 in TEXASb:WFTEst.1847-1874 in MONTGOMERY , ALABAMA
................ +Fannie Sinclair WFT Est. 1855-1878-Abt.1925m: WFT Est. 18 8 7- 1 914 d: Abt. 1925 in CARLTON, TXb:WFTEst.1855-1878 in JONESBORO, TEXAS
........... 10 Ina Maurine Oates 1897 - 1976d:January20, 1976in DALLA S , TEX A S b: May 01, 1897 in DUBLIN, TEXERATHCO
................. +William Henry Roberts 1890 - 1945m:WFTEst.1925-19 4 2 d : 1 945 in DALLAS, TEXAS b: July 15, 1890inBRYANTEX
............ 11 William Henry Roberts,Jr. Private -b: Private
........... 10 Milard Oates Private - b: Private
........... 10 Merlin Oates Private - b: Private
............ 11 Griffith Oates Private - b: Private
......... 9 Georgia Oates 1853 - WFT Est. 1854-1947d:WFTEst.1854-194 7 b: 1 8 5 3
......... 9  Charles Stephen Oates 1863 -WFTEst.1894-1954d: WFT Es t . 1894- 1 954 b: January 29, 1863inCONROE,TEXAS
................ +Rose Anna Mcafee 1864 - 1920m:1884inCONROE, TEXA S d : J ul y 27, 1920 in DUBLIN, TEX ERATHCOb:January04, 1864
........... 10 Blanche Oates 1885 - 1937 d:March10,1937b: Marc h 1 0 , 188 5 in DUBLIN, TEXAS
................. +George Muncie Langdon 1881 - 1863m:WFTEst.1913-19 3 3 d : M ay 17, 1863 b: June 24, 1881
........... 10 Charles B. Oates Private - b:Private
........... 10 John S. Oates Private - b: Private
......... *2nd Wife of  Charles Stephen Oates:
................ +Margaret Turner WFT Est. 1859-1879-WFTEst.1894-196 3 m : W F T Est. 1894-1928 in MERIDIAN d:WFTEst.1894-1963b: WFT Est. 1859-1879
........ 8 James Oates 1826 - WFT Est. 1827-1916d:WFTEst.1827-191 6 b : 1826
........ 8 Elizabeth Ann Oates 1832 - WFT Est.1833-1926d:WFTEst. 1833-1 9 2 6 b : 1832
..... 6 Benjamin Shipp d: in Hancock County, Georgia
..... 6 William Shipp
..... 6 Tiller Shipp
..... 6 Mary Shipp
........... +John Holloway m: October 21, 1765
..... 6 Susanna Shipp
........... +Jesse Wall m: January 04, 1765
..... 6 Richard Shipp d: in Hancock County, Georgia
... 5 Josiah Shipp
*2nd Wife of  William Shipp:
This information is from The Shipp Family Genealogy compiledbyRalphD.Shipp, Gateway Pr e s s , Inc. Baltimore, MD, 1975. (BookfoundinthePublic Library of Andalusia and Covington C o u n ty, 212SouthThreeNotchStreet, Andalusia, Alabama 36420.
Child of EPHRIAM SHIPP and ANNE is:
7. i. ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, b. December 26, 1789, EDGECOMB CO., N.C.; d. December 06, 1866, ROEVILLE, Henry County, ALA.
Generation No. 7
7. ELIZABETH7 SHIPP(EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born December 26, 1789 in EDGECOMB CO., N.C.7, and died December 06, 1866 in ROEVILLE, Henry County, ALA8. She married STEPHEN OATES, son of JAMES OATES and MARY WYATT.
Children of ELIZABETH SHIPP and STEPHEN OATES are:
8. i. ROBERT8 OATES.
ii. PHEBE OATES.
iii. MARGARET JANE OATES, m. COOPER WIGGINS.
iv. WILLIAM OATES , COL. CIVIL WAR AND GOV. OF ALABA.
v. CAROWAY OATES.
vi. JOHN CHARLES OATES, b. WFT Est. 1801-18319; d. WFT Est. 1803-190910.
vii. SENIA OATES, b. WFT Est. 1801-183111; d. WFT Est. 1803-191212.
viii. FERRABY OATES, b. WFT Est. 1801-183113; d. WFT Est. 1803-191214.
9. ix. ANNA OATES, b. May 08, 1822, Sampson Co. N.C>; d. September 16, 1874.
10. x. STEPHEN OATES ,JR., b. 1825, SAMPSON CO. N.C.; d. WFT Est. 1866-1916.
xi. JAMES OATES, b. 182615; d. WFT Est. 1827-191616.
11. xii. EPHRIAM OATES, b. January 27, 1826, N. C.; d. April 20, 1911, Abbeville, South Carolina.
xiii. ELIZABETH ANN OATES, b. 183217; d. WFT Est. 1833-192618.
Generation No. 8
8. ROBERT8 OATES(ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1). He married SARAH.
Children of ROBERT OATES and SARAH are:
i. ALABAMA C.9 OATES, b. 1771.
ii. MAHILLIE OATES, b. 1775.
iii. STEPHEN OATES, b. 1849.
iv. MARY OATES, b. 1850.
v. ELIZABETH E. N. OATES, b. 1852.
vi. CHARLES S. OATES, b. 1854.
vii. SUSAN J. OATES, b. 1858.
viii. JAMES R. OATES, b. 1859.
ix. SINIA A OATES, b. 1869.
x. JOHN C. OATES, b. 1877.
9. ANNA8 OATES(ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born May 08, 1822 in Sampson Co. N.C>19, and died September 16, 187420. She married EDWARD DOWLING21,22,23 October 24, 1841, son of DEMPSEY DOWLING and MARTHA STOKES.
Child of ANNA OATES and EDWARD DOWLING is:
i. LIZZIE9 DOWLING, b. October 21, 1846, Ozark, Alabama; d. December 14, 1916, Nagadoches, TX.
10. STEPHEN8 OATES ,JR.(ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1825 in SAMPSON CO. N.C.24, and died WFT Est. 1866-191625. He married MARTHA COMPTON WFT Est. 1858-188126.
Children of STEPHEN OATES and MARTHA COMPTON are:
i. EMMA9 OATES, b. WFT Est. 1847-187227; d. WFT Est. 1852-195628.
ii. ELIZABETH OATES, b. WFT Est. 1847-187229; d. WFT Est. 1852-195630.
iii. LUDIE OATES, b. WFT Est. 1847-187231; d. WFT Est. 1852-195632.
12. iv. ARTHUR ELDRIDGE OATES, b. WFT Est. 1847-1874, MONTGOMERY , ALABAMA; d. WFT Est. 1900-1957, TEXAS.
v. GEORGIA OATES, b. 185333; d. WFT Est. 1854-194734.
13. vi. CHARLES STEPHEN OATES, b. January 29, 1863, CONROE, TEXAS; d. WFT Est. 1894-1954.
11. EPHRIAM8 OATES(ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born January 27, 1826 in N. C., and died April 20, 1911 in Abbeville, South Carolina. He married MARY ANN WARD August 16, 1826, daughter of JAMES WARD and MIRANDA PARRISH.
Notes for EPHRIAM OATES:
Stephen Oates was born in 1783 and died in 1835. He marriedElizabethAnnShipp. The y h a d a t least three children, James, JohnCharles,andEphraim. The Oates family came to Hen r y C oun ty afterStephen's deathin1835. In 1839 Elizabeth Oates had to settle herhusband' s e sta t esotheir son, James, was made Commissioner for thatpurpose, and theirsonJohn Charl e s w a s given the power of attorney tosettle thematter.Ephraim Oates who was born Jan. 27 , 1 8 2 6 in SampsonCo., NC, hadverylittle formal education because he worked on his mother's pl a ntation inRoeville. He did contribute to the Baptist Church and heservedinArmstrong's M o u n ted Infantry, also know as the HenryMountedRebels,during the Civil War. Ephraim die d o n A p r. 20, 1911inAbbeville, HenryCounty, Alabama and is buried in the AbbevilleCityCeme te r y . Ephraimmarried 1st Mary Ann Ward, daughter of James (b.Nov.1, 1783 in SC, d.Feb. 2 8 , 1 8 60 in Henry Co., AL) andMalinda/MarindaParrish Ward. Shewas born June 24, 1822, die d N o v 2 4,1882 and wasburied in theAbbyville City Cemetery, Henry County, Alabama.Ephrai m a n dMar y Ann hadfive children: Malinda, married Dr. ThomasCarrey, Soloman;Wyatt StephenOa t e s (se e below); Margaret married EdgarLindsay, son ofBenjamin &Mary Jordon Lindsay. 2 oth e r s. Ep hraimmarried 2nd LucySaunders, b.Nov. 19, 1849, d. Sept. 12, 1838. Lucy wasalso bu r i ed i nthe AbbyvilleCity Cemetery, Henry County, Alabama.Ephraim and Lucy'schildren were: E p hra im Oates, William G. Oates, LucyOates and LizzieOates.
According to the Memorial Records of Alabama, EphraimOatesinherited12,000 acres of land.
Children of EPHRIAM OATES and MARY WARD are:
i. WYATT9 OATES, m. QUEEN REYNOLDS.
ii. ED OATES, m. (1) ALICE PIERCE; m. (2) MOLLY JOHNSON.
14. iii. MALINDA OATES, b. January 05, 1851; d. January 20, 1929.
15. iv. MARY JANE MARGARET OATES, b. June 18, 1859, near Abbeville, Henry County, Alabama; d. August 13, 1939, Henry County, Alabama.
Generation No. 9
12. ARTHUR ELDRIDGE9 OATES(STEPHEN8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born WFT Est. 1847-1874 in MONTGOMERY , ALABAMA35, and died WFT Est. 1900-1957 in TEXAS36. He married FANNIE SINCLAIR WFT Est. 1887-191437.
Children of ARTHUR OATES and FANNIE SINCLAIR are:
16. i. INA MAURINE10 OATES, b. May 01, 1897, DUBLIN, TEX ERATH CO; d. January 20, 1976, DALLAS, TEXAS.
ii. MILARD OATES, b. Private38.
17. iii. MERLIN OATES, b. Private.
13. CHARLES STEPHEN9 OATES(STEPHEN8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born January 29, 1863 in CONROE, TEXAS39, and died WFT Est. 1894-195440. He married (1) ROSE ANNA MCAFEE 1884 in CONROE, TEXAS41. He married (2) MARGARET TURNER WFT Est. 1894-1928 in MERIDIAN42.
Children of CHARLES OATES and ROSE MCAFEE are:
i. BLANCHE10 OATES, b. March 10, 1885, DUBLIN, TEXAS43; d. March 10, 193744; m. GEORGE MUNCIE LANGDON, WFT Est. 1913-193345.
ii. CHARLES B. OATES, b. Private46.
iii. JOHN S. OATES, b. Private47.
14. MALINDA9 OATES(EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born January 05, 1851, and died January 20, 1929. She married DR. THOMAS CAREY SOLOMON February 20, 1873 in Abbeville, Alabama.
Notes for DR. THOMAS CAREY SOLOMON:
after the War of Southern Independence and his marriage the familymovedtoEnterprise Flo r i d a their three children were born there. Maud1875Taein 1878 and Ligon Thomas in 1881 . I n t h e mid 1880s hewastreatingpeople for yellow fever when he came down with the disease . He di ed16/Jul/1888 and he is buried somewhere in Enterprise. If theirsisomeoneon the lis t t h a t is doing research on this family pleasecontactme atLBate18495@aol.com <mailto:LBate 184 9 5 @aol.com> or write meJacobL.Bateman III 3870 Strathmore Drive Montgomery Alabama 3611 6-4 6 14.Thankyou Jacob L. Bateman III
Children of MALINDA OATES and DR. SOLOMON are:
18. i. LIGON THOMAS10 SOLOMON.
ii. MAUD SOLOMON, b. 1875; m. REVEREND WILL ELLISON.
iii. TAE SOLOMON, b. 1878; m. WILL GRICE.
15. MARY JANE MARGARET9 OATES(EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born June 18, 1859 in near Abbeville, Henry County, Alabama, and died August 13, 1939 in Henry County, Alabama. She married EDGAR LINDSAY November 16, 1879 in Henry County, Alabama, son of BENJAMIN LINDSEY and MARY JORDAN.
Children of MARY OATES and EDGAR LINDSAY are:
i. VIOLA10 LINDSAY, m. HOMER FLOWERS.
19. ii. BUNCH (MALINDA) LINDSAY.
iii. RALPH LINDSAY, m. MARY.
iv. COLLIE LINDSAY, m. QUINCE HOLLON.
20. v. RUTH LINDSAY.
vi. NINA LINDSAY, m. GLEN HAWKINS.
vii. SEVA LINDSAY, m. ELMA KNOWLES.
viii. CLYDE LINDSAY.
ix. HELEN LINDSAY, m. (1) JOHN STARKE; m. (2) FRED FELTS.
21. x. ALICE OLIVE LINDSAY, b. September 27, 1888, Headland, Alabama Henry County; d. April 25, 1980, Dothan, Aabama, Houston County.
Generation No. 10
16. INA MAURINE10 OATES(ARTHUR ELDRIDGE9, STEPHEN8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born May 01, 1897 in DUBLIN, TEX ERATH CO48, and died January 20, 1976 in DALLAS, TEXAS49. She married WILLIAM HENRY ROBERTS WFT Est. 1925-194250, son of WILLIAM ROBERTS and MARY BUMPAS.
Child of INA OATES and WILLIAM ROBERTS is:
i. WILLIAM HENRY11 ROBERTS ,JR., b. Private51.
17. MERLIN10 OATES(ARTHUR ELDRIDGE9, STEPHEN8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Private52.
Child of MERLIN OATES is:
i. GRIFFITH11 OATES, b. Private53.
18. LIGON THOMAS10 SOLOMON(MALINDA9 OATES, EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1). He married DAISY REDDING.
Children of LIGON SOLOMON and DAISY REDDING are:
i. OLIN CAREY11 SOLOMON.
ii. DONALD GILBERT SOLOMON, m. NAOMI EPPS.
iii. CHARLES PRIOLEAU SOLOMON, m. MYRA BURKE.
iv. EMORY REDDING SOLOMON, m. ELSIE CLARE BURDESHAW.
19. BUNCH (MALINDA)10 LINDSAY(MARY JANE MARGARET9 OATES, EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1). She married WALTER SCOTT.
Child of BUNCH LINDSAY and WALTER SCOTT is:
i. MARY JORDAN11 SCOTT, m. ESPY.
20. RUTH10 LINDSAY(MARY JANE MARGARET9 OATES, EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1). She married MILLER GUILLOT.
Child of RUTH LINDSAY and MILLER GUILLOT is:
i. ROBERT11 GUILLOT, d. Florence, Alabama (president of U of North Alabama); m. PATTY.
21. ALICE OLIVE10 LINDSAY(MARY JANE MARGARET9 OATES, EPHRIAM8, ELIZABETH7 SHIPP, EPHRIAM6, RICHARD5, JOSIAH4 SHIPP JR, JOSIAH3 SHIPP, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born September 27, 1888 in Headland, Alabama Henry County, and died April 25, 1980 in Dothan, Aabama, Houston County. She married ALPHEUS WALTER HAWKINS May 09, 1909, son of THOMAS HAWKINS and MARGARET ADAMS.
More About ALICE OLIVE LINDSAY:
Cause of Death: alzheimers
Children of ALICE LINDSAY and ALPHEUS HAWKINS are:
i. ELSIE11 HAWKINS, d. June 28, 2002; m. JOHN CANNON.
ii. MARGARET HAWKINS, b. February 1910; d. September 1914.
More About JOSEPH ROBERT RAMSEY:
Cause of Death: congestive heart failure
iv. JANIS CLAIRE HAWKINS, b. October 31, 1914, Headland, Alabama; m. RALPH MOSELEY.
v. WALTER JEROME HAWKINS, b. October 17, 1917; d. 1960, Memory Hill, Dothan, al; m. JEAN HOLLIS.
vi. LYNN HAWKINS, b. January 20, 1920, Headland, Al; d. January 27.